Well, gay brothers and sisters, here we go again. Two steps forward and one step back has been our plight for decades and will apparently be for some time to come, as we now have on the scene a viable presidential candidate who has already begun to cast us back in the shadows.
Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee is one of the leading Republican candidates in the 2008 run to the Whitehouse. He handily won Iowa and has placed respectfully in other state contests on the road to the nomination. In an interesting and almost unbelievable coincidence, Huckabee, a former Baptist minister, hails from the same small town in Arkansas called Hope that raised our very own Bill Clinton from seedling to global political icon. Having spent my first 28 years as a resident of that state myself, the rarity of chance that could produce two nationally viable presidential candidates in the same lifetime from the same small town in the same small state was enough to swim my sensibilities, and, I would think, of anyone paying attention.
The consensus about Huckabee is that he is a really nice guy. You need go no further that any of the 24 hour news channels, not just Fox News, to hear a chorus of political pundits confounded at why this small town minister is garnering so much support and national attention. Lacking anything of substance to point to, the analysis of the political talking heads has often turned into a personality profile of Huckabee the man. Even then, the critique diminishes into a simplistic declaration of his apparent sincerity and kindness. “Have you met the guy?” One host asked his panel. “He’s just such a great guy, you can't help but like him!” This seems to be a acceptable conclusion for them and has been echoed ad nauseum across the airwaves on political chat show after political chat show. I cannot judge the pundits, however; I myself was caught up in the Huckabee charm once upon a time.
Having recently moved back to Arkansas temporarily to assist with some family matters, I was in the state long enough to witness the end of his term as governor, as well as the election for his replacement. Soon after, I heard that Huckabee was going to have a $500 a plate fundraising dinner in Little Rock to raise money to explore the possibility of becoming a presidential candidate. Being obsessed with politics as I am, and sensing a rare opportunity to observe some politics in action in a state not well known for much action of any kind, I had to be there. I also found the idea of being a liberal gay spy in a den of Republicans irresistible. So I went. I did not pay the $500, but I got a seat at a table just yards from the podium. How I got in isn’t as important as the goings on I observed once there.
There were many speakers leading up to Huckabee, there to sing his praises and muster up financial support. But Huckabee was not the only recipient of heaps of praise at this political function. So was God. Knowing the Republican party is the evangelical party in favor of a theocracy, and knowing Arkansas is the proverbial buckle of the bible belt, I should not have been shocked by a religious display. And yet, it was so very shocking. Up to the point when Huckabee spoke, one might not have known something political was transpiring. Anyone who walked in accidentally may have thought they had stumbled upon a religious revival. Although I knew that Huckabee is a former minister and that the Republicans think of themselves as the party of God, I had not realized just how carefully chosen and distilled their words have been in public regarding matters of faith. I realized at this event, where there were no TV cameras or press apparent inside, that the religious zeal on open display behind closed doors at functions such as this, although not a surprise to anyone in attendance, would blow away most casual political observers in our country. I fancy myself fairly up to speed on political matters, yet I was completely unprepared for an overt blending of church and politics of this magnitude. Many in the room contributed with their shouts of “AMEN!” when anything remotely inspiring was uttered, religious or political. Prayers were led and gauntlets were thrown.
I was pleased, however, when Huckabee took over the microphone. It was only then that the event took a secular tone. He stuck to his accomplishments as Governor in Arkansas and spoke of his new book that outlined how to bring differing views together in a political environment. His speech placed great focus on his proven ability to unite people. “So maybe he is actually alright,” I reasoned, “and it’s just his fanatical fundamentalist supporters that created the revival atmosphere.” His speaking style was both eloquent and easy, brimming with warmth, sincerity and intelligence. His doe eyes and boyish smile seemed to belie an inherent honesty. He later performed with his band, playing secular music on his bass guitar. As luck would have it, Huckabee, myself, and four others caught the same elevator down to the parking deck. I used the opportunity to shake his hand and chat about the evening for a minute or two, and he was gracious enough to give me his complete attention. I was blown away by the warmth and genuineness of this man. Looks you in the eye. Comfortable in his own skin. So easy to talk to. Okay, he was just a great guy with a powerfully comforting presence. These are not qualities I had noticed before in a Republican.
I went home to my partner, who thought Huckabee the antichrist, and I was exuberant. I am proud of the fact that although most were not taking his candidacy seriously at the time, I predicted unequivocally to my partner that night that Huckabee would be a major player in the Republican race. He and everyone else to whom I spouted this prediction thought the notion well outside the realm of possibility. Not me. I met him. I knew it and nailed it. Well, I didn‘t completely nail it. I also predicted that he would represent a new generation of inclusive and open evangelical Republicans. He was just so nice! I sensed nothing about him that would indicate a capacity for hatred or dehumanization of a fellow person. I could not have been more wrong.
In a recent campaign rally, he finally let his freak flag fully fly. As he addressed the crowd, he got increasingly loud and more passionate. Maybe he was “getting the spirit” as they say. But just as he reached his crescendo, out spewed the following fright:
"(Some of my opponents) do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards."
It would seem that he was referring only to the religious right’s chosen top two imminent catalysts for the downfall of humanity: a woman’s right to choose and same sex couples’ rights to anything. But he never said that. If he had, I could have simply sighed in disappointment and pigeon-holed him right in with all the other Republicans. Instead, he left the sentiment widely open-ended, and I believe he did so with honesty and purpose. He, and presumably scores of others like him, would like to see just how far such a concept can go in this country. The constitution as a consistent reflection of the Christian Bible. One cannot be certain which version of the Christian bible he was referring to, but we get the picture.
Current trends suggest that his candidacy since making these comments has lost momentum, I would like to think as a direct result. But the fact is, the Republican race is still way up in the air and evangelicals from all over the country are strongly united behind this modern day religious fanatic. And if I have learned anything from these past 7 years of political observation, it is that anything is possible. The advent of Bush’s second term taught us that we can take nothing for granted. We must continue to unite, engage one another in political dialogue, and spread the word that even in these modern times of emerging enlightenment, all around us are wolves in sheep’s clothing.
If Mike Huckabee does become our next president, I have a suggestion for where to start his grand plan. As he and his kind are all concerned about maintaining the sanctity of marriage, how about starting with outlawing an actual proven threat to the sacred institution of marriage instead of the imagined threat of sharing the right with other consenting citizens: adultery. Hey, at least that made the top ten sin list. All who have committed the act should have their right to marry permanently dismantled if we are to be consistent. Furthermore, if abortions have to end because it’s “killing” then I am sure we will all agree to ending all war as well as the death penalty. Of course, it’s going to get really interesting when we go to prison for dishonoring our parents, working on Sundays, or wishing we had our best friend’s new iphone.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment